The parish church of Saint Cosmas and Saint Damian is located in idyllic isolation on the North Downs, one mile from the modern village of Challock. It is a Norman church, primarily built of flint and ironstone, started about 1100 AD close to site of a former wooden Saxon church.
The village of Challock was originally located in the immediate vicinity of the church. It moved to its current location when the villagers were given notice to quit in the late 16th Century by the owner of Eastwell Park who enclosed his lands and closed the road from Faversham to Ashford, which went through the old village. However, the church remained as the place of worship for the relocated villagers and is used every Sunday for services, being part of the Kings Wood Benefice in the Deanery of West Bridge, Canterbury Diocese. The Kings Wood Benefice includes: Chilham, Challock, Molash, Godmersham & Crundate, and is currently waiting for the appointment of a new vicar. The contact details are the PCC Secretary Mrs Clare Hook 01233 740356 or the PCC Treasurer Mr Peter Franklin-Bourne 01233 740213.
Regular services are held as follows:
1st Sunday – Holy Communion 9.30 am
2nd Sunday – no service
3rd Sunday – Morning Prayer (Lay led) – 10.30 am
4th Sunday – no service
5th Sunday – When there is a fifth Sunday in the month, the service will be held on a rota basis at one of the five churches in the Benefice. See the Parish Magazine for details.
Church officials are now:
Secretary: Mrs Clare Hook
Treasurer: Mr Peter Franklin-Bourne
The church is also used extensively for concerts and functions. Every year there are three major festivals for Art, Music and Flowers run by the Friends and the Parochial Church Council (PCC).
John E. Vigar’s Churches website click here
Who were St Cosmas & St Damian click here (Wikipedia)
The Benefice of Kings Wood www.kingswoodbenefice.co.uk
The Church of England click here
The Diocese of Canterbury click here